Monday, December 6, 2010

Anthropologie...How I love Thee!




I picked up these little beauties at Anthropologie in Downtown Seattle, last week. I was at 2 Anthropologie locations on my last visit. The first one we visited was at University Village. This location is brand-spanking new! The whole Retail development was absolutely beautiful. It reminded me of the Village at Park Royal, but like everything in the States, it was about 3 times the size.

I LOVE Anthropologie. I simply can't understand how they do what they do. They make mass-produced look handmade. They merchandise in such a way that makes you want to LIVE in their store. They somehow take a totally soulless new commercial space with high ceilings and an ordinary concrete floor, and turn it into a space that looks worn in, funky, and totally cool!

They manage to transform the 'false-ness' of the standard 'LIFESTYLE' store, into a space that has you longing to live that life. That aspirational aspect is every retailers dream. How do you create a world out of merchandise that has people wanting to own everything you sell...including the 'idea' of the lifestyle that you present. This is where as an owner, you absolutely can't fake it. The image that your store presents has to reflect your personality. The image also has to give customers a peek into the life you lead...and to some degree, your values. It's a little scary to reveal that much to strangers...but from your website, to your facebook page, to your blog or monthly newsletter, to your physical bricks and mortar location...you have to be honest and real. I personally know nothing about the person/corporation that owns the Anthropologie brand...but I feel as if they invite me into their home, every time I am in the area. What does your space say to customers?
www.anthropologie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment