Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Trade Shows...Why you should make the time!


When I had my clothing store, I used to LOVE going to a trade show. It was an excuse to get out of the store for the day, have a nice drive, and maybe a drink and a snack after the show to digest what I had seen. When I was in Fashion Design several decades ago I learned a valuable lesson that I have never forgotten. The lesson was simple: LOOK AT EVERYTHING!!! LET EVERYTHING BE YOUR INSPIRATION!! As I recall we were doing an assignment where we had to design an outfit based on an insect! Now, I am one of the most practical people you will ever meet. Assignments like this used to drive me up the wall! " How can an insect be an inspiration for an outfit" I cried!! " Who would want to wear something that made them look like a BUG?", I moaned! I was ignored by my instructor, who happened to be an artist...and I slinked upstairs to the library to look for pictures of insects. ( I just realized how OLD, that statement makes me look!)
That lesson, combined with many others, worked to expand my mind from the place it normally resided, in my head, to the world outside.

If you have a business, can you afford to stay inside your space day in and day out, and expect to come up with any fresh ideas? Many business owners feel that the time away from work combined with the expenses related to travel or hiring staff to cover your absence makes attending trade shows less attractive. I completely disagree. YOU are the investment. YOU are the visionary leader who started your business and FEEDS it every day with energy and ideas. To set aside a few hours or days a year to attend a show, meet with suppliers, or other people who have similar businesses is an investment in the health of yourself AND your business.

Part of Cavern Retail Consulting is doing merchandising for stores. The photo above is from a trade show that features mostly interior design. Should I have not attended because I have a background in Fashion, not interior design? Should I have not attended because I have never designed the interior of a store...and store design is not included in my business Menu of Services? Of course not! This show: The IDS West Design Show was to provide me with inspiration. I attended the show almost 2 weeks ago, and my mind is STILL percolating with ideas of every kind! I posted more photos on my facebook page, and have used those photos to chat with people I never would have met if I had not taken the time to attend the show.

Destiny's Child said it best: " Free your mind, and the rest will follow..."
IDS West Design Show: www.idswest.com
PHOTO: Eighteen Karat booth: www.eighteenkarat.com
Cavern Retail Consulting Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/pages/Cavern-Retail-Consulting/130690110314227

No comments:

Post a Comment