Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Music, Music, Music...and Your Store


Do You ever notice music when you walk into a retail store? I am a person who loves music, and thought that one of the best things about having my own retail store was being able to program a days worth of music that meant something to me, every day I worked.

As a customer, I remember 3 times that I entered a store and was blown away by the music playing. The 1st time was in a new boutique in Yaletown called Vasanji. I walked in and was immediately transported back to the late 70's. Whomever was working that day had decided to play, in it's entirety, Stevie Wonder's Musiquarium. I walked in to 'Superstition', and stayed right through 'Isn't she lovely?' The store was a HUGE loft space, in what was then an up and coming area, and I will never forget how well that album matched the feeling of the sort of urban,clubby clothing they were selling.

The 2nd time, the P-Man and I were in Santa Monica shopping at a very upscale boutique called Fred Siegel's. That day, the music consisted of the New Macy Gray album...'On How Life Is'. As I wandered from department to department, each song followed me, and I swore that right after I finished shopping, I was going to buy that CD.

The 3rd time was in Portland Oregon. The P-Man and I were visiting Portland for the 1st time, and had stayed in an up and coming neighbourhood called the Pearl District. The area was full of interesting little shops, but you know how it is...after the third cute little store selling chic spa products mixed with 'must-have home decor', you need a break! We walked into another little place, and were treated to the then-new Justin Timberlake CD - 'Justified'. That catchy pop music made me want to stay a little longer. It instantly differentiated that store from all the others I had walked through that morning.

Just in case you haven't noticed...Christmas is coming! For those of us who have worked through a decade or so of Christmas retail...please have pity on your customers. Consider your Christmas music selections. Your staff, AND your customers will be subjected to all manner of 'Silent Night' in the next 8 weeks! Take this opportunity to listen to, and program some Holiday appropriate music that won't have everyone racing for the door! Whatever you, AND your staff decide on, it should reflect you, and what your store is all about. Take the time to consider VOLUME and SELECTION! An ipod is a great alternative to a couple of CD's that have to be constantly rotated. You can load the music you like, hit shuffle, and let it play all day...no fuss, no annoying stoppages, or skips. This time of year is busy...don't make your staff deal with one more thing that could drag them away from making a great impression, or a great SALE, to a customer! Make an impression...show who you are...Tis the Season !

No comments:

Post a Comment