Friday, February 4, 2011

CRC Website...Coming Soon!

I have been continuing to work on my Cavern Retail Consulting website. It has been about 3 weeks since my last post. In that post I outlined my first steps:

1) Contacting a designer.
2) Filling out a questionnaire about my company, and my expectations for my new site:
( Your Organization and your New Website)
3) Receiving and reviewing the quote from the designer,and providing the deposit.


Over the last 3 weeks I have spoken to my designer every 2 or 3 days. This has kept both of us on track and engaged in the project.

To start, I was e-mailed 3 different 'looks' for my website. It was explained that what I liked or didn't like about each of them would move the designer forward in my preferred direction. It appeared that I liked round shapes, not square ones. I liked photos with a soft, rather than a hard feel. I preferred cool colours to neutrals.

With the above information, a basic look and layout for my home page and my interior pages was designed. I was also asked to decide how many pages I thought I needed, and menu buttons were named to reflect the future pages.

I would estimate that the above, took me 3 days at the most. The next step was, and continues to be, the most challenging and rewarding thing about designing my website. The CONTENT.

I had to provide the content for each page. In my case, because I am my product...the 'About Me' and the 'Services' pages have been where I had to do the most thinking and writing,and re-writing. I had a bit of an advantage. I had been working as a consultant before I started designing this site. This gave me experiences,and aspirations to draw from. My other advantage was that I had always liked writing, and had taken an online writing course last year. I have also written almost 200 blog posts. After I e-mailed my copy to the designer, a day or so passed, and I was e-mailed back a 'mock up' of each page. The thing I liked was that the designer had re-organized my words, and added photos, quotes in the side bar etc. It was at this phase that I really began to appreciate the skills of an experienced designer. I can see my website becoming something that reflects me and my business. These little adjustments are what add character and personality to a page full of WORDS. I finally began to understand what this process has been all about.

My designer gave me some great advice. He said that I didn't have to think of this site as 'WRITTEN IN STONE'. I really appreciated that. I tend to be the kind of person who likes to work until something is 'RIGHT', whatever that means. I realized yesterday that my site does look good, my words make sense, and are written in my voice. I will see the site on Sunday, in it's almost final form...

To be Continued...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing such a great Blog. A good point of sale can resolve a lot of those issues. A great POS can not only help you get beyond the issues common to POS systems, but it can also help your business grow well beyond what you might have thought was your peek potential.

    ReplyDelete