Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Orling & Wu: A Gastown Beauty


I was in Vancouver yesterday. It was a nice afternoon, and I was early for my class. I rode the Canada Line all the way to Waterfront Station, and decided to take a walk down Water Street. I have lived in the Lower Mainland for more than 35 years now. I have been to Gastown dozens of times. Some things never seem to change. The store that sells Cowichan Sweaters is still there. So is the place that sells small bottles of real maple syrup, and Inuit soap stone carvings. The tourists are still there. Yesterday afternoon people were still posing in front of the famous steam clock, and others were seriously studying those cartoon maps that tell you where the Art Gallery and the Aquarium is. Lately, I have been reading about some new additions to Gastown's Retail Scene. I kept walking, and soon I came across a pretty little building, with a freshly painted facade, and a window display that caused me to jaywalk across the street to have a better look. I had arrived at Orling & Wu.

The store was simply stunning. The feeling was calm, the colours subtle, and the stock was arranged and edited with great care and attention to detail. I always know I am in an perfectly edited space, when I have to look at EVERYTHING. The way that the items were displayed allowed my eye to see not only the grouping, but each individual item. I think one of the most common mistakes people make when merchandising, is not allowing enough space between items. One of the other elements that made the space work so well, was the use of white. It allowed the other colours and prints to POP...all without causing visual fatigue. I also found the variety of merchandise to be refreshing. The items were unique, without being too precious. These were things you would want to have for yourself, or gift to someone else. The scale of the store was grand, but the mixture of large and small items, as well as large and smaller fixtures made the space feel perfectly proportioned. I also noticed the lighting. The front entrance wall was nearly all windows, but Water Street is like a loft apartment, bit of a tunnel. With tall buildings directly across the street,the quantity and quality of natural light would most certainly need to be addressed. It seemed that the light in the store was very soft. I was there around 5 pm, on a fairly clear Vancouver day. I can imagine on a cloudy or rainy day, that the light would softly radiate out of the front windows to attract patrons, as well as illuminating the merchandise within.

As I left the store, it was as if I had left the quiet contemplation of a meditative space, and was immediately deposited back to the car honking, gritty reality that is modern day Gastown. As I walked past another 4 or 5 spaces currently under development on the same block, I know that Orling & Wu has without a doubt raised the bar for new Retail in Vancouver.

Orling & Wu
28 Water Street
Vancouver, BC Canada
V6B 1A4
t- 604-568-6718 f- 604-568-6719
www.orlingandwu.com
info@orlingandwu.com

No comments:

Post a Comment